Includes some unusual functions, like a gater and a very useful hold function, Smartelectronix “Ambience” is available for free.
Ambience is a reverb that rivals the quality of the best commercial reverbs.
It also includes some unusual functions, like a gater and a very useful hold function.
Due to the superior quality of the plugin and its array of useful presets and functions, the Ambience plugin has become somewhat of a free VST “Classic”.
- Presets: An array of quality presets are included!
- Dry: Gain of direct (unprocessed) sound. To use Ambience as a send effect, set this to -inf.
- Wet: Gain of processed sound.
- Time: The time it takes for the reverb echoes to die out.
- Size: The size of the room. Note that long reverb time and small room size don’t mix well. For natural sounds, a small room size should be accompanied by a short reverb time, and vice verse.
- Pre-Delay: Amount of delay between the direct sound and the onset of the first echoes.
- Width: All the way from mono (0%) to wide stereo (100%). Probably you will want this one at 100% all the time.
- Quality: This knob allows you to trade off reverb quality for CPU usage. High quality <=> high cpu usage. You can make fun effects if you set it very low (try it!).
- Variation: This button creates a new variant of the same room. If there’s some annoying echo/ringing in the reverb that bugs you, hit this button a few times until you find a variation that you like. If it still sounds bad to you, try raising the Quality too.